Ingredients (for first step):
2 chickens (cleaned, washed and drained)
2 handfuls of fried onions
1 tspn whole cumin
2 tspn ground cumin powder
2 tspn coriander powder
1/4 tspn of ground black pepper
3 tbspn of natural yoghurt
4-5 tbspn oil
3 tbspn of ghee
Handful fresh mint (chopped)
2 boxes of Shaan Bombay Biryani Masala (take the big pieces out)
1 tspn of turmeric powder
8 tspn crushed ginger
2 tspn crushed garlic
1 cup of water
2 tomatoes (chopped)
Few whole green chillies
1/2 tspn chilli powder (to taste)
1/2 tspn salt (to taste)
Note: Add the chillies and salt last once the rest of the ingredients are well incorporated.
Method (for first step):
1. Mix together the ingredients above except for the chicken in the order specified above. Then add to a big pot which you’ll use to make the biryani in.
2. Cook the ingredients until masala is completely cooked when the tomatoes are soft and the oil has separated.
3. Add the chicken and cook for a little while until the masala has incorporated with the chicken, around 5-10 minutes.
Ingredients (for second step):
6 small cups of rice
(boiled with salt and whole cumin)
Method ( for second step):
1. Boil rice and eggs separately and fry potatoes.
2. Mix fried potatoes and eggs with the cooked chicken. Add the boiled rice on top Cover the pot with lid and foil to enclose the steam.
3. Cook on the hob on a high heat until steam comes out.
4. Then put in the oven on gas mark 6/200 degrees for 30 mins then lower the heat to gas mark 4/180 degrees for a further 30 mins and then to gas mark 2/150 degrees for another 30 mins or so.
Love from foodie Ayesha Kasu
Ingredients (for the pastry):
125g plain flour
2-3 tbspn icing sugar
70g butter (cut into tiny pieces)
1 egg yolk
1-2 tbspn water
Method (for pastry):
1. Sift flour and icing sugar in a bowl, add butter and egg yolk. Using your fingertips add enough water to make a soft dough. Wrap in cling film leave in the fridge for 15 minutes.
2. Pre heat oven to gas mark 6. Roll pastry and blind bake for ten minutes using baking beans on baking paper. Remove the baking paper and baking beans. Cook in oven for a further 5-10 minutes until golden brown.
Ingredients (for vanilla filling):
1 tspn vanilla essence
2oz caster sugar
1 tbspn plain flour
1 tbspn cornflour
125ml fresh cream (whipped)
Method (for vanilla filling):
1. In a sauce pan add the milk and vanilla essence. Leave to simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. Keep stirring.
2. In a bowl add the rest of the ingredients and smooth into a paste.
3. Add the paste to the warm milk and bring to a boil for about 2 minutes or until thick. Fold in the whipped cream.
4. Fill tarts with vanilla filling and decorate with fruits of your choice. Brush with jam glaze.
NOTE: To make a jam glaze, bring to boil, 1 tbspn of apricot or pineapple jam and 1 tbspn water.
Love from foodie Ayesha Kasu
1/4 bottle Nandos mango and lime sauce
1 tbspn malaysian curry paste (galangal chillies one) or any red chilli/curry paste
1 tbsp Mayonnaise
1 tsp Siracha sauce/powder
Sprinkle of Lime powder
Sea salt and lemon pepper to taste
Fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp Coconut oil (smoothed)
1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
1. Mix together the marinade and slather over the meat.
2. Place on oiled baking dish/tray and garnish with spring onions and coriander.
3. [For the vegetable side dish, par boil potatoes and carrots, slice big green chillies and mango slices. Then make a sauce with butter, ketchup, nandos sauce, a sprinkle of sugar, 1/2 tsp malaysian curry paste, salt and chilli flakes. Toss the veggies in it, being careful not to mush mangoes.]
3. Place the veggies around it or roast potatoes and cook on medium heat for forty five mins. Serve with rice, cous cous or rotis.
Ingredients for Chicken Marinade:
1 / 2 chicken breast – cut into long strips (not too thin and not to small so that the cornflakes comes off when you are frying).
1 tbspn soya sauce
1 tbspn chilli sauce (If you don’t use a garlicky one, then add 1 tspn ginger and garlic paste as well)
1/2 tspn chilli flakes
1/2 tspn white pepper
1/2 tspn black pepper
1 tbspn lemon juice
Add all the marinade ingredients to the chicken and mix – leave in fridge for 1 / 2 hours or overnight
Ingredients for ‘runny’ dipping mixture no1:
3 tbspn plain flour
2 tbspn corn flour
1/2 white pepper
1 tspn paprika
1 tspn garlic powder
1 tspn salt
1 tspn baking powder
Mix above, then add
2 eggs and 1/2 cup milk (mix those two together) then add to the above mixture – use a whisk, make sure it’s runny and no lumps.
Ingredients for ‘dry’ dipping mixture no2:
1 heaped cup of cornflakes (crushed a little, but not like breadcrumbs)
1/2 cup plain flour
You can tweak the flavours to your taste – add what suits you.
Method (when ready to fry):
1. Take the chicken out of the fridge and heat oil for deep frying.
2. Dip the chicken pieces in the runny mixture no1.
3. Then dip into cornflakes mixture no2.
4. Deep fry the chicken until cooked through.
Enjoy in a burger/wrap or with a salad for a healthier option. x
Love from Foodie Homie