Ingredients (for the pastry):
125g plain flour
2-3 tbspn icing sugar
70g butter (cut into tiny pieces)
1 egg yolk
1-2 tbspn water
Method (for pastry):
1. Sift flour and icing sugar in a bowl, add butter and egg yolk. Using your fingertips add enough water to make a soft dough. Wrap in cling film leave in the fridge for 15 minutes.
2. Pre heat oven to gas mark 6. Roll pastry and blind bake for ten minutes using baking beans on baking paper. Remove the baking paper and baking beans. Cook in oven for a further 5-10 minutes until golden brown.
Ingredients (for vanilla filling):
1 tspn vanilla essence
2oz caster sugar
1 tbspn plain flour
1 tbspn cornflour
125ml fresh cream (whipped)
Method (for vanilla filling):
1. In a sauce pan add the milk and vanilla essence. Leave to simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. Keep stirring.
2. In a bowl add the rest of the ingredients and smooth into a paste.
3. Add the paste to the warm milk and bring to a boil for about 2 minutes or until thick. Fold in the whipped cream.
4. Fill tarts with vanilla filling and decorate with fruits of your choice. Brush with jam glaze.
NOTE: To make a jam glaze, bring to boil, 1 tbspn of apricot or pineapple jam and 1 tbspn water.
Love from foodie Ayesha Kasu