1 & 1/2 lbs meat or 1 whole chicken
2 &1/2 cups rice
3-4 cups water
1/2 cup butter
1 & 1/2 Onions
Crushed ginger and garlic
Red chilli powder
2 whole green chilies,
1& 1/2 handfuls whole masala mix
1. Boil meat with masala mix, ginger and garlic and 1 chopped onion.
2. Soak 1 & 1/2 tsp whole jeeru, 2 fresh green chillies, 2 bay leaves, 2 big cardamon pods and a pinch of whole pepper on the side in some water.
3. Once meat is cooked sieve out the masala mix and leave the water as stock for the rice later. Put the meat aside also.
4. Wash the rice and leave to soak in cold water.
5. Meanwhile slice the rest of the onions thickly and cook in melted butter in a pot until brown.
6. Sieve and add the soaked whole jeera and accompanying spices to the onions (from step 2) discarding of the water. Put the lid on the pot and let it sizzle for two minutes.
7. Then add the meat, red chillies, green chillies, salt and 2tbsp ginger and garlic.
8. Once it is brown add the stock from the meat according to the rice (2:1 ratio in cups) and salt to taste. Stir once and let it cook on low heat till rice is cooked.
When cooking with chicken cook the chicken with the onions (at step 5). Boil water with the masala mix separately to create the stock for the rice.
Love from Foodie Hajra Bhayat