1/2 leg/shoulder of lamb
3 big onions (diced)
Few cinnamon sticks
3-4 whole black pepper
3-4 cardamon pods
1 tbsp whole cumin
Big pinch fenugreen leaves (fresh/dry)
4-5 tbsp crushed ginger and garlic
1 tbsp green chilies
1 tbsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp tumeric powder
2 tbsp coriander & cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala
Salt to taste
700g passata jar
1pk Shaan Sindhi Biryani mix
Half a bunch fresh coriander chopped
4 large potatoes
4-5 cups of rice
Ready fried onions
Clarified butter (ghee)
Pinch of saffron
1 cup milk
1. In a pan cook meat off with half the garlic, ginger, some salt & tumeric powder. Cook till water from meat burns off.
2. In another pan fry onions in oil till golden then add whole spices & methi. Cook till onions are brown.
3. Then add the rest of the garlic, ginger, chilies, salt, coriander and cumin powder as well as the shan masala packet. Cook for a minute then add the passata.
4. Now leave to cook till oil bubbles appear on top. Then add garam masala.
5. Mix the meat into this masala and leave to one side.
6. In a big pan boil water till its boiling then add plenty of salt and the soaked rice. Cook it till its nearly cooked. Drain and leave to one side.
7. Separately fry the potatoes and boil the eggs.
8. Now place some foil at the bottom of your pot, add ghee, some rice, fried onions, potatoes, the meat and masala, chopped coriander in this order and then repeat for a second layer.
9. Bring some milk to boil with some ghee and saffron. Then pour over biryani.
10. Pour couple of mugs of water over the biryani and then cover with foil then the pot lid. Cook on the cooker for 5 mins till steam starts to come from the pot then place in the oven for around and 1hr 45mins.
Love from Foodie Aiysha Haji