1 & 1/2kg chicken (2 chickens medium piece)
1 cup yogurt
1/4 tsp tumeric
1tbsp crushed garlic and ginger
1tbsp cumin powder
1tsp coriander powder
2 tbsp red chilli powder
Salt to taste
150g fried onions
1 bunch fresh chopped coriander
1 bunch mint finely chopped
pounded green chillies to taste
1/2 cup oil
2 tbsp lemon juice,
Spice powder: crushed 2 cinnamon sticks; 3 cloves, 3 star anise, 6 cardamon pods, 1 tsp whole cumin, 6 pepper corns OR 2tbsp biryani powder OR whole hard spices
1. Marinate the meat with all the spices and ingredients till the whole spices on list in fridge overnight.
2. Soak basmati rice in water for minimum one hour.
3. Heat water in a pan, add salt and 1tbsp oil and rice. Cook the rice 3/4 of the way and switch off cooker but leave rice in the water.
4. Layer the marinated chicken in the bottom of another seperate pot. Drain rice and later in top. Sprinkle with fried onions, clarified butter/ghee and saffron (soaked in milk)
5. Cover and seal lid with something heavy on top. Cook on full heat for five mins. Then reduce heat to low and put a flat crepe/roti pan under the pot and cook for 30 mins. After which switch off cooker but don’t open pan for a further 40 mins.
Love from Foodie Safiya Bangee