2lb lamb mince
Salt to taste
Red chilli powder to taste
Crushed ginger & garlic
3 fresh tomatoes
Fresh green chillies to taste
1/2 tub plain yogurt
Diced peppers and mix veg (optional)
Ready fried onions
4-5 cups rice
Whole spiced; cumin, cinnamon and cardamon.
1. Fry the onions till slightly brown. Then add the whole spiced and fry for a minute.
2. Now add the mince and cook till water burns out. Add the spiced and garden peas and let it cook for a little while.
3. Then add chopped fresh tomatoes. Lower the heat and let the mixture cook till its dry. Thereafter put aside to cool and once cool add yogurt and chopped coriander.
4. Boil the rice with whole cumin and salt. Boil eggs and fry chopped potatoes separately.
5. Once rice is cooked layer the mince mixture and rice like how you would with biryani. First spread rice at the bottom of a pot, sprinkle with saffron water and fried onions, spread the mince mixture, place eggs and potatoes, sprinkle some fried onions on top. Repeat to create a second layer. Spoon some butter on top of the rice. Create holes in your layered mixture with a big spoon and sprinkle inside fried onions and chopped fresh coriander. Cover the pot with a lid and cook on the hob until steam comes out. Then put in the oven for about an hour.
Love from Foodie Ayesha Kasu