1 whole chicken/breast
2 med onions
1 cup milk
1/4 to 1/2 tin chopped tomato
1 1/2 tsp crushed ginger and garlic
1 tsp salt
Butter chicken packet masala (Shaan)
3 tbsp cream (or more)
1 tbsp tandoori powder
2 tbsp vineger
2 tbsp ketchup
Fenugreek leaves (methi)
6-7 crushed cashews or almonds
1. Dice the onions and add to hot oil. Braise till the onions soften fully.
2. Then add the milk and chicken and let it cook till the water burns off. Then remove the chicken.
3. Blend the chopped tomatoe tin and add to the pot with all the spices (minus the tandoori masala and only a little of the butter chicken packet masala) and crushed nuts. Let it cook till oil bubbles appear at the top.
4. After this add the cream, tandoori masala and the cooked chicken and let it all simmer for a few minutes.
4. Before its cooked fully add the ketchup, vinegar and a little bit more of the butter chicken masala.
5. Once cooked remove from the heat and sprinkle the methi over it.
6. Light the coal, wrap in foil and make a slit at the top. Place this in the butter chicken pot. Then pour melted ghee over it and close the lid of the pot straightaway.
7. After a few minutes remove the coal and throw away. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander.
Serve with chapattis.
Love from Foodie Habibah Bhayat
(makes one medium sized dish)
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion (sliced)
2 tsp crushed garlic
1 pepper (cut finely)
1/2 courgette (cut finely)
1 carrot (cut finely)
Chicken breast (cubed)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp tandoori masala
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1 jar ready pasta sauce
Salt to taste
50g single or double cream
1 jar white sauce/homemade
Mozerella & cheddar cheese
1. Heat the oil in a pot and add the onions till they soften and turn brown at the edges.
2. Then add the garlic and let it fry for a few seconds.
3. Par boil the carrots separately and then add with the rest of the vegetables to the onions. Cook until soft.
4. Now add the chicken, black pepper, tandoori masala, salt and chilli powder and mix together. Ler the chicken cook till it starts to release water.
5. Then add the jar of pasta sauce and a little more oil if needed. Let the mixture cook on medium heat till oil bubbles appear at the top.
6. Taste and adjust salt and chilli powder accordingly. Lower the heat and then add the cream; mixing till fully incorporated. Cook for a few minutes on medium heat and then switch off the heat completely.
7. Grease an oven proof casserole dish and put a layer of lasagna at the bottom. Then some white sauce, mixed grated cheese and butter chicken filling.
8. Repeat twice more in the order of lasagna white sauce, sprinkled grated cheese and chicken filling. Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes at gas mark 5 till lasagna is cooked and brown at the top.
Serve with a crunchy ceaser salad.