Ingredients (Step 1):
1/2 cup toor lentils
1/4 cup little yellow lentils (mung)
1/4 cup little red lentils
1 large onion chopped
2-3 tbsp garlic & ginger paste
Salt to taste
Water for boiling
Method (Step 1):
1. Boil all the above till the lentils are cooked and then blend till smooth.
Ingredients (Step 2):
Meat (cooked separately with garlic ginger paste, salt and turmeric)
1 chopped tomatoe tin (blended)
Whole cumin seeds
Fennel seed powder
Coriander and cumin powder
Salt to taste
Ginger & garlic paste
Fenugreen leaves (methi)
Phool (soak in water, pick out of the water so to leave the hard bits and dirt behind)
Basaar powder (Pakistani curry powder)
Crushed green chillies
1. Fry whole cumin, bay leaves and fenugreen leaves in oil for a few minutes.
2. Then add the rest of the ingredients, minus the garam masala, phool meat and fresh coriander. Cook till oil bubbles form on the top of the masala.
3. Then mix the meat into the cooked dhal as well as the masala and pool.
4. Simmer this on a low heat for 15-20 min. Sprinkle garam masala and chopped coriander on top.
Note: You can serve the dhal with rice. Simply slice some onions and fry in a pan with oil/ghee, whole cumin, cloves, cinnamon, black pepper corns, bay leafs and few pieces of sliced ginger. Add channa dhal, rice, salt and water. Cook till rice is soft and fluffy.
Love from Foodie Aisha Haji