Ingredients (all fresh):
2inch piece of ginger
2 pieces of fresh garlic
Bunch of spring onions
Bunch of coriander leaves and stalks
1 green pepper
4 small new potatoes
2 handfuls sweetcorn
5 handfuls rice
1 tsp curry powder
1-2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1. Chop roughly and blend together the tomatoes, spring onions, coriander, ginger and garlic.
2. Heat a little butter or oil in a pot and add the blended ingredients. Add salt and spices and let it cook till mixture darkens slightly.
3. Then add finely chopped pepper, sweetcorn and cubed potatoes and cook till potatoes are 70% cooked.
4. Then add the washed rice and the same amount of water as there is rice plus a quarter more. Not too much. Taste and add salt if needed.
5. Let this cook on high heat for a few minutes and then on low heat for about 15 mins. Once cooked garnish with chopped herbs and serve warm with mint chutney.
3 large onions
2 chicken in pieces
Crushed ginger & garlic
Crushed green chillies
Curry chutney (fresh coriander, garlic and green chilli blend)
Red chilli powder
1 tsp curry paste
3 small fresh tomatoes
Handful of fresh coriander
1. Fry onions in oil with whole cinnamon, cumin, cloves, peppercorns, cardamon and bay leaves until golden brown.
2. Then add chicken, garlic, ginger, green chillies, salt and curry chutney.
Leave to cook.
3. Meanwhile boil eggs and fry potatoes .
4. Once meat has cooked and no water is left; add red chilli powder, turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and curry paste. Leave to cook on low heat.
4. Once the masala has been absorbed. Switch off the heat and add yogurt, chopped tomatoes, saffron and fresh coriander. Scatter the fried potatoes and sliced eggs on top.
5. Boil rice with whole cumin and salt until soft. Place rice only on top of cooked chicken.
6. Chop a large onion or two and fry in clarifies butter. Pour the ghee and the onion over the rice.
7. Place the Biryani on the cooker again on high heat for about half an hour, then lower heat for an hour or so.
Love from Foodie Maryam Kika