1 whole chicken/breast
2 med onions
1 cup milk
1/4 to 1/2 tin chopped tomato
1 1/2 tsp crushed ginger and garlic
1 tsp salt
Butter chicken packet masala (Shaan)
3 tbsp cream (or more)
1 tbsp tandoori powder
2 tbsp vineger
2 tbsp ketchup
Fenugreek leaves (methi)
6-7 crushed cashews or almonds
1. Dice the onions and add to hot oil. Braise till the onions soften fully.
2. Then add the milk and chicken and let it cook till the water burns off. Then remove the chicken.
3. Blend the chopped tomatoe tin and add to the pot with all the spices (minus the tandoori masala and only a little of the butter chicken packet masala) and crushed nuts. Let it cook till oil bubbles appear at the top.
4. After this add the cream, tandoori masala and the cooked chicken and let it all simmer for a few minutes.
4. Before its cooked fully add the ketchup, vinegar and a little bit more of the butter chicken masala.
5. Once cooked remove from the heat and sprinkle the methi over it.
6. Light the coal, wrap in foil and make a slit at the top. Place this in the butter chicken pot. Then pour melted ghee over it and close the lid of the pot straightaway.
7. After a few minutes remove the coal and throw away. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander.
Serve with chapattis.
Love from Foodie Habibah Bhayat